Thursday, August 30, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Pack of Lies (Red Ridge Pack Series # 1) by Sara Dailey and Staci Weber

Date Published: April 8, 2012
Format: ebook
Description (Goodreads):
The last thing Allison Wright ever expected when she moved to Red Ridge, New Mexico was to come muzzle to muzzle with the wolf of her dreams.
Seventeen-year-old Allison Wright is convinced she’s losing her mind. Uncontrollable mood swings, hot flashes, and the urge to punch anyone who gets in her way are suddenly becoming everyday occurrences. Before her erratic behavior gets out of hand, Allison’s mother finally comes clean about her dark secret. Mom is a werewolf, and soon Allison and her brother Aiden will suffer the same fate. When Allison reaches her breaking point, the family leaves their life in Texas to move to Red Ridge, New Mexico where they rejoin the pack that Allison’s mother left behind almost 20 years ago.
Unfortunately, not everyone in Red Ridge is thrilled about Allison’s arrival, especially when she attracts the attention of the very handsome, very taken, soon-to-be alpha, Cade Walker. Little does Allison know, her mere presence is causing a rift in a once unified pack. Not only has Cade been forbidden from being with Allison by his father, the pack’s alpha, Cade’s girlfriend, Kendall Stuart, will stop at nothing to get Allison out of the picture. Well on her way to becoming the next alpha’s mate, Kendall expects to rule the pack by Cade’s side even if it means teaming up with a rogue werewolf with an agenda of his own. Determined to get rid of Allison permanently, when Kendall and the rogue join forces, all hell breaks loose and no one in the pack is safe, especially not Cade and his true mate.
_______________________________


Rating:
FUN and EXCITING READ! 

Review: 
I saw the book for the first time in a giveaway. I read the summary and it really caught my attention so I entered. Luckily, I won! I was so thrilled to finally read it! I have to say thanks to Sara Dailey and Staci Weber for the copy!

Anyway, this is my first time to read a book about werewolves. It wasn’t hard for me to get into Allison’s character. She’s one strong and tough chick. She was once a teenager who’s popular with a bunch of friends but things turned around. She’s still popular, but in a negative sense. She was accused of being a boyfriend- snatcher and called a slut. She lost her friends and those ones who she considered as bestfriends now treat her as a stranger. With no help from the changes she felt inside her, she became more impatient and aggressive to those who mistreat her. She had a hard time containing her anger which makes her get into fights. Unlike Allison, her older brother Aiden was liked by everybody, totally opposite of Allison. But still, there seems changes to both of them which made their mom finally admit that she's a werewolf and therefore Allison and Aiden are also werewolves. I just have to say the revealing part was one funny moment. So they have to move to Red Ridge to learn about the life of being werewolves. 

One important event happened was when Allison finally changes to werewolf form for the first time. She meets someone, also in wolf form. They have this connection, like love at first sight but in werewolves way. That scene was so fascinating and cute! Werewolves making out- how can you not like that?LOL. The other werewolf was none other than Cade, the soon-to-be alpha. 

Cade, the alpha male successor, has a lot on his plate. Much has been expected of him and one of them was to be with Kendall, his chosen mate. Confusion arises when he meets Allison. There's something different about her- her scent, and everything about her makes him want to be with her all the time. But that's the problem, they can't be together eventhough the feelings are mutual. I know that the "Romeo and Juliet-ish" kind of story was used quite often but for me, it never gets old. He will eventually have to make a decision for himself and not just for the sake of the pack. But before that happens, people will be on their way, especially Kendall.

From the first time her name was mentioned on the book, I instantly hated her. She thinks everything revolves around her and she's such a b*tch. But sometimes, I understand where she's coming from. She's afraid that her status to the pack will be lost because of Allison.

The book has 3 POVs- Allison, Cade and Kendall. I think Kendall's POV is unnecessary. I understand her side with/ without her personal thoughts. I won't like her either way. The reason why I didn't give this a perfect five was because I didn't like how the POVs switched. It was a bit unorganized for me and that's the only thing I didn't like about the book. The near ending parts were okay. When I thought there won't be anymore complications, a twist in the story was revealed. 

I'm really excited for the second book. Give this book a chance, you won't regret it. :)

Quotes:
"It was that moment that I realized a few things. I was beginning to hate the girl next to me-the one I was supposed to love. I was losing the girl I wanted to be with-the one I was pretty sure I was falling in love with-ans as long as I was the future alpha, my life was not my own." 
- Cade

"It's complicated! That is such bullsh*t!" -Alli

"My life has been more perfect and screwed up at the same time. Here I was with the one person that was made just fir me. It may sound unbelievable, but it was true. She was now a part of me that I couldn't be without. Finding your true mate these days was practically unchard of but here we were, and I knew it was the real thing." - Cade



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!