Monday, August 20, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Half-Blood by Jennifer Armentrout (Covenant #1)

Date Published: October 18, 2011
Book Description (Goodreads):
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

_______________________________


Book Review:
I loved Obsidian so I searched for Jennifer Armentrout's books and came upon this book. I read reviews and there were mixed opinions about it. Some loved it while others have low ratings because it reminded them of Vampire Academy. Lucky for me, I haven't read Vampire Academy yet so I gave the book a chance. And I'm glad I did because I loved it!

I'll say it again. I really, really LOVED IT! I'll try my hardest to explain why.

I love everything about it. The characters, the storyline, everything! The storyline is unique, about gods and mortals having children, then the concept of pure-blood and half-blood. I thought that was interesting. I liked the pace,neither fast nor dragging. There was no dull moment, I enjoyed the book, from cover to cover. It was action-packed from the first pages, I was instantly hooked. 

I loved the characters. All of them, including the "bad ones". I hated them at first but I've grown to love their characters. Like Seth, the Appolyon, he's insensitive at times which makes him annoying but he's still good despite that. Even the supporting characters, like Caleb, Alex's bestfriend. He's very understanding, caring and funny. 

For the protagonist, Alexandria, I love that she's strong-willed, skilled, a fighter. I can sometimes relate to her because she's too strong that she doesn't want anybody to see her weak side. She's also has a funny side and she has a smart-mouth which makes it all fun reading the book. She's also stubborn, most of the time, which gets her into trouble. 

Then there's Aiden. From the first time he came out, I already knew he'll be the "love interest" of Alex. He's very reserved, strong, skilled, and swoon-worthy. He had his own struggles from the past which made him sympathize Alex. He cared for her and admired her. The attraction between them was obvious but there are rules that should be followed. Pure-bloods and half-bloods should never get into any relationship. NEVER.

What will happen to their relationship? Will Alex have a choice to choose her destiny? 

I can't wait to read the sequel!

If you haven't read Vampire Academy yet, you should try reading this. You will definitely enjoy and love the book!


Rating:
I LOVED IT!


FUNNY QUOTES:
“I was gonna be super pissed in the afterlife if I died a virgin in this crap hole.” - Alex

“You better have had a baby, killed someone, or slept with a pure. Those are your three options. Anything less is unsuitable.” - Caleb

INSPIRATIONAL QUOTES: 
“You need to know about love. The things people will do for love. All truths come down to love, do they not? One way or another, they do. See, there is a difference between love and need. Sometimes, what you feel is immediate and without rhyme or reason.” She sat up a little straighter. “Two people see each across a room or their skin brushes. Their souls recognize the person as their own. It doesn’t need time to figure it. The soul always knows… whether it’s right or wrong.” 

“Need covers itself with love, but need… need is never love. Always beware of the one who needs you. There is always a want behind a need, you see.” 

“It’s just words and words mean nothing. Only action does.” - Aiden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!