Saturday, August 18, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh (Nevermore #1)

Date Published: August 31, 2010 
Book Description:

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look. 

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. 

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares. 
His life depends on it.


_______________________________


Rating:

    DARK, THRILLING!!

Book Review:
I must say this is the slowest pace I had reading a book. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Hmmm..Maybe both.

I was a bit hesitant to read the book because I have no idea who Edgar Allan Poe is. I mean I know he's a poet but that's it. I don't know his biography and I haven't heard or read any of his works. It's a shame I know, of my lack of knowledge but that's one of the reasons why I was led to the book. I was curious. And the other reason was because of the high ratings other people have given the book. So I was convinced to read it. 

Izzy is the typical perfect girl- a cheerleader, has a football player boyfriend, has elite friends and has a perfect family. Then it all changes when she had Varen as her English project partner. Varen has this dark and cold image which gives Izzy the creeps but also makes her want to know him more. She was pulled toward him which made it all complicated. 

At first, I had a hard time getting into the story. The idea that just because Varen became her partner made her boyfriend and friends crazy, annoyed me. Then she stands up for Varen which pretty much means turning her back to her boyfriend and friends. She was left alone then a new friend comes, with the name of Gwen. I'm glad for her character because she's fun and it made the story lighter when she's there. 

I wasn't expecting the book to be dark, mysterious and thrilling. Maybe for the second half of the book, I became more interested.  I was excited and scared of what will happen which made me hold my breath for a lot of times. I still have no idea what's happening until the last parts of the book. 

I liked how detailed and creative it was narrated. Detailed in a sense that you can picture everything about the scene which is a good thing for me. I appreciate and respect the writer for how it was exquisitely written. For the poetry parts of the book, I admit I had a hard time understanding them which made it difficult for me to read the book. I'm not really into those kind so I felt a bit dumb at times. 

But anyway, I still enjoyed most parts. If you're into literature, poetry, you will definitely love the book! Just so not me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!