Tuesday, September 11, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti

Date Published: May 4, 2010
Book Description (Goodreads):

Best friends Lani and Erin couldn't be more different. Lani's reserved and thoughtful; Erin's bubbly and outgoing. Lani likes to do her own thing; Erin prefers an entourage. There's no possible way they could be interested in the same guy.

So when Erin starts dating Jason, Lani can't believe she feels such a deep connection with him--and it may be mutual. The more Lani fights it, the more certain she feels that it's her fate to be with Jason. But what do you do when the love of your life is the one person you can't have?




______________________________


REVIEW:
Before I read the book, I have the impression that the plot's not unique but I was quite intrigued if there will be something different about it.

Lani is someone who believes in fate- horoscope, tarots, palm-reading and everything that makes her know something about the future. She's reserved, more of a safe person, and a very good friend to Erin. Erin,on the other hand, is the opposite of Lani. She's outgoing and friendly. They have opposite personalities and likes, even their tastes in men. Their history made them very close, like sisters. But what happens when some guy comes between them? Will Lani let her feelings get in their way? Or will she give way to the one who she owes her life?

I neither love nor hate Lani's character. There are some good and bad points about her. I like that I can relate to her personality, the part of her being reserved. She fears the unknown, of not knowing what will happen to the future. I think everyone can relate to that. The most feared by people is the fear of the unknown especially when you experienced something in the past that makes you want to have done something to prevent that. The thing I don't like about her is that she doesn't know how t stand for herself. She makes decisions based on what other people would feel. She lies so she won't hurt people but as a result, she hurts herself instead. 

Meanwhile, I don't like Erin's character. Everybody likes her which makes her think people revolves around her. She still has a good side but bleh.

Meanwhile, I like Jason's character. He's good-looking and has a great personality. I just hate the part where *spoiler* he dated Erin just because she likes him and he thought Lani has a boyfriend. Which made the story all complicated. But I like that he's man enough to admit his true feelings.*end of spoiler* 

Another character I like is Blake, the other friend of Lani who's so gay and I love him! He always says the truth even when it's not what you wanted to hear. He's a kind and true friend.


What I love about the book is that there are a lot of inspiring words that I may relate to. There is development in each of the characters and that's good. 

So if you need a light read, this is one of them. 


RATING:
OKAY..

QUOTES:
"You can't deny reality. So what if the reality is particularly harsh? You and I both know that this life is anything but easy."

"I hate when questions like this get stuck in my head. They bother me util I can find an answer. The annoying thing is that these kinds of questions usually don't have definite answers. Like with the whole fate thing, Do we have control over our fate or will our lives turn out the same way no matter what we do? This is the on question I wish I could know the answer to more than any others. But I'll probably never know."

"Can you just be friends with a soulmate when you want to be so much more?"

"Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better. I just never imagined that things could get this bad."

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it." -Jean de La Fontaine

"You've got to take a chance on something sometime, Pam." -Jim Halpert

"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant,, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." -Lemony Snicket

"The expected id just the beginning, The unexpected is what changes our lives." -Meredith Grey


3 comments:

  1. I just read this too, and I totally agree with you. The ending bothered me, because I expected Jason to have more of a reaction. He was way to nice about it all, IMO. And I loved Blake too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what type of people would like this book?

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!