Friday, September 21, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Avoiding Commitment by K.A. Linde (Avoiding #1)

Date Published: August 1,2012
Synopsis:
Jack and Lexi never had a typical relationship. After 2 years without speaking, she receives a phone call that changes everything. He unexpectedly asks her to convince the new girl, Bekah, that he's ready to commit. Jack is calling now after everything they had been through because there is another woman. She can't believe it. Follow Lexi in this heart wrenching drama as she relives her past relationship, or lack thereof, with Jack, and not just in her own mind, but to his fiance-to-be. Throw in Bekah's hot brother who always seems to be in the right place at the right time, a past with more secrets to unravel than you can even imagine, and you get a recipe for disaster. Find out what happens to Lexi as she travels to Atlanta to get the closure she so desperately desires from Jack, and how the bumps of life seem to keep getting in the way.

______________________________

Review:
12 am : I was in the middle part of book when I thought that's it for the night. But I can't take these questions off my mind: How will it end? Will she end up being with Jack or will she get her closure? I even thought of taking a peek of the last part just to give me some comfort so that I could sleep soundly without those thoughts in my mind. But no, I didn't do that so I had to stay up until 4 in the morning just to finish it all. So.. (sigh)

This is just PURE CRAZY, STRESSFUL read. It's like I'm in a rollercoaster ride and for most of the time I just want to scream and beg it to stop but then I couldn't stop. I want to ride it through the end and see if it's worth it. Is it worth it? YES, for most parts, I think, so YES. 

Who's crazier? The girlfriend who wants to meet her boyfriend's exes or the girl who agrees to meet the "future-fiance" of the guy she never gotten over with? Or the guy who uses a girl and never commits? They are ALL CRAZY!

Lexi, the protagonist, has been in love with Jack since the time she laid her eyes on him. They never really were in "a relationship" but there's always this connection between them and they can't get away from it. They have known each other for six years and everytime they meet, a cycle happens. They make wrong decisions that always end up in a situation where it ends up hurting people.

I hate Lexi for being a martyr! She's intelligent but she never uses her brains to make mature decisions especially where Jack is concerned. She just let her feelings for Jack cloudy her reasoning. She's experienced psychological and emotional torture which I can't help but feel for her. 

Jack, the oh so gorgeous and sexy Jack, definitely has some PROBLEM---SERIOUS psychological problem! Honestly, for the first parts of the book, I really liked him! He's charming, kind and a gentleman. But then hell break loose! I'm not kidding! He has great convincing skills, he should be a lawyer! He has commitment issues, I know, but why has he done such things? I  JUST DON'T GET HIM! *spoiler* He's an arse but deep inside I was still hoping he would change- make a wise decision to commit and be with Lexi instead.*end**Wishful Thinking*

And her girlfriend Bekah is such a bitch! She's a two-faced bitch and I just want to slap her several times! They deserve each other and they should just leave Lexi alone.  

The light of the book were Chyna and Ramsey. I like Chyna for being true to herself and to her friend Lexi. She's thoughtful and everytime Lexi needs her, she's there without second thoughts. I also like Ramsey's character. He's a country club kind of guy- rich, mannered, observant, and oh, so good looking.(yumyum!LOL) He differs himself by being a rebel to his family especially his father. He likes to tease and anger Lexi but in a way, he wants to have Lexi's attention and he wants her to like him too. *spoiler*But there's something odd about him. I think he has some dark secrets he'd never allow anyone to know, even Lexi.*end*

I hate and at the same time loved the book. I hate about the cheating and lying part. I had a hard time accepting that these are happening in the real world. On the other hand, I love the narrative style of K.A. Linde. It was easy-flowing for the first few pages of the book. It has a great humor for most parts and I wasn't bored. The chapters were alternating from present then past which keeps me interested on what new details will be revealed. There were also songs for each chapter so you'll have an idea of what the chapter is about. And as expected, there were alot of hot and steamy scenes which can be found mostly in the second half of the book I was a bit disappointed in the last part but I realized it's for the best. Despite the book being complicated, there's some moral you can learn so I gave it a high rating.

This is more of an Adult Contemporary read so for those who's into these kind of books, better give this a try.

Rating:
HOT,HOT,HOT!


Memorable Quotes:

"Closing up. Finally spent.
You are gone.
And now you're moving along.
Heavy now. Tears remain.
Hard pressed to rest.
When all I feel like is a mess.
Now, don't you worry your head.
You're not my one and only friend.
And I don't need you anymore.
To leave me bruised and broken on the floor.
You left me bruised. You left me broken.
You left me bruised. You left me broken."

"And Lexi had to deal with that fact. She had to deal with knowing that he hadn't chosen her. He didn't want her."

"She could remember a time when she thought things could be right with her and Jack. Now it seemed like that was such a long time ago. How could she have ever told herself things were going to be alright? She now knew with every once of her being that there was absolutely nothing left of the man she had once loved."

"Why couldn't be closure be easier than this?"

*spoiler*LOVED THIS PART!!
"I appreciate the fact that you have one redeeming quality Jack but that is all it is. Just a measly hint of redemption with six years of disappointment.
No matter what you do, it will never make up for what has happened between us. I will never trust you. I will never again be comfortable around you. I will never look at you or think of you without  considering the destruction you have train wrecked through my life.
I hope you the very best in your future, because without you in my life I think I might finally have a future. And as angry as I am with what you have put me through, I am so very glad that we are now at this moment. This moment means I can move on to bigger and better things without you constantly weighing on my shoulders.
I will never again turn a corner in New York terrified that I will run into you and even more terrified that I won't. I can go into any coffee shop I want. I can hope for love again. A love that will be more than anything you ever attempted to give to me. Because the love I am looking for will be reciprocated one hundred and ten percent. There will never be another someone to distract our affections, because you will not be in the picture.
So as sad as this day is for me, as I am losing a part of myself with the loss of you, it is really just the beginning for me. it is like cutting off the spoiled part to get to the juicy center. So I would appreciate it this time, if you did not try and contact me, because I'm sure you know I deserve much better. I want everything this time around and I deserve it."
*end*

Question: When will you say "It's time to let go?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!