Monday, September 24, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (Shatter Me #1)

Date Published: November 15, 2011
Synopsis (Goodreads) : 
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.


The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.




______________________________

Review:

Shatter Me is about a 17 year-old girl, Juliette, who's been locked up in an asylum because of an unintentional murder. With just one touch, she could give pain or worse, death. She's been locked up for 264 days and the world she once knew will never be the same. The Reestablishment promised their people a better life, better future, hope, but instead they stole it from them. There's an impending war and the Reestablishment thought of using Juliette as a weapon, to destroy those who are against them.

Juliette's character remind me of someone. Maybe you also know who it is and you're right! Rogue from X-men. She has this inconvenient power where she can't touch anyone without them being hurt. She has experienced seclusion from people, even her parents. I can't imagine anyone who could stay sane with what she'd gone through. I bet I'd go crazy if that happens to me. Because of that, I sympathize Juliette. She felt unloved and dead inside. She became unsure of herself and her sanity so I understand that her character had a hard time containing different emotions she hasn't felt for a long time. She learned to become strong and to fight for herself and for the one she loved.

Adam is someone from Juliette's past. Since he met her, he became protective of her. They haven't spoken a word to each other until he came back to her life. He has the usual "hero" image- gorgeous,strong and reserved. He's one of those who experienced a hard childhood so he's grown to protect those he loved. He was annoying at first but I've learned to love his character. 

The "other" guy from the book is Warner. He's a young, corrupt, possessive, cruel, power-obsessed leader. He became very interested of Juliette because of her power. He feels he's the only one who understands Juliette because he, too, experienced hatred from people. So he planned to convince Juliette to use her power as a way to get back to those who've hurt them. He has this complex crazy character which makes me hate him. I especially hate the part where he *spoiler* used a toddler for Juliette to use her power. That's just so bad and mean. I want to kill him for doing that.*end* But I'm interested on how he will turn out. Will he change?

I was fascinated by the unique writing of Tahereh Mafi. The crossed out phrases, her use of colorful words to describe and the repetition of words. But as the story goes on, I became uncomfortable and I thought it was overused. Her world building wasn't elaborated much but I have a picture in my mind and I think that was enough. I liked the storyline although the pace was slow at first but it caught up when it came to the middle part. And I shouldn't forget to say that I love the cover! I like that there's two sides, black and white then the girl exudes of power. Loved it!

Overall, I enjoyed the book and I'll definitely read the second book.

Rating:



Memorable Quotes:

"Sometimes I think the loneliness inside of me is going to explode through my skin and sometimes I'm not sure if crying or screaming or laughing through the hysteria will solve anything at all. Sometimes I'm so desperate to touch to be touched to feel that I'm almost certain I'm going to fall off a cliff in an alternate universe where no one will ever be able to find me."

" I want to put this fist attached to my wrist right through the window.
Just to feel something.
Just to feel human."

"Truth is a jealous, vicious mistress that never ever sleeps, is what I don't tell him. I'll never be okay."

"Hate looks just like everybody else until it smiles. Until it spins around and lies with lips and teeth carved into the semblance of something too passive to punch."

"I'm an encyclopedia with too many blank pages."

"Because moving forward is the only way to survive."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!