Monday, August 26, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Firelight by Sophie Jordan (Firelight #1)

Publication Date: September 7, 2010
Synopsis:
A hidden truth. 
Mortal enemies. 
Doomed love.
Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki, a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.
Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away;if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.
Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

______________________________

Review:

This is the first time that I read anything about dragons. This book has been in my TBR list for quite some time now and I didn’t even know that it’s about dragons.

I didn’t know what to expect from this so I was so eager to read it. I love its unique story and how I became so into it.

I really felt for Jacinda’s family. I understand her, her sister Tamra and her mother. I understand where all of them are coming from. Jacinda’s mom is very protective of her family. Since her husband died, she became strong for her two daughters. She will do anything just to protect them, even if it’s from their Pride.

Tamra, Jacinda’s sister hasn’t manifested or shifted into a drakir and because of that, she was neglected by their Pride. She was abandoned like she was sick of something contagious. She was left hurt of how she was treated.

Unlike Tamra, Jacinda has manifested into a kind of drakir that has never happened in thousands of years. She’s a fire drakir. Because of that, she was looked up to and was well treated. But not all good things come out of it. Her destiny has already been written for her. A lot was expected from her and one of them is to be with Cassian, the Prince of the Pride and who will soon be the ruler.

Jacinda is expected to behave in a way acceptable. So when she ignores the rules, she finds herself in a very bad situation. So her mom decided that all of them should leave the Pride.

If there are drakirs, there are also hunters. And Will is one of them. This part of the story, I expected. Jacinda and Will are drawn to each other. The thing happened between them was like love at first sight. They can’t help themselves but be in each other’s arms. So when secrets unveiled, both have accepted their fate. A hunter falls in love with his prey and vice versa.

I love the unique plot and the action brought by the book. The characters and supporting characters are lovely although not all of them. We have these infuriating characters that I wish Jacinda would blow fire in their faces. Sorry, I’ve gotten too emotional in there. The thing I somewhat don’t like is how the scene shifts from one to another. Other than that, I liked everything about the book.

Rating:


Memorable Quotes:


“Why do you care? I've ignored you for days."

His smile fades. He looks serious, mockingly so. "Yeah. You got to stop that.” 


“What good is safety if you're dead inside?” 


2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I love this book! But the second one was a bit of a let down for me. Hopefully Firelight will be better!
    New follower :)

    http://bohobooknerd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I loved it! I haven't read the second book yet.
      Thanks for following!I followed you back! :))

      Delete

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!