Sunday, October 28, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini (Starcrossed #1)

Publication Date: May 31, 2011
Synopsis (Goodreads):
How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.
______________________________

Review:

I heard about the book but I have no idea what it is about. I had the terrible mistake to just assume it was a mermaid book because of the cover. So I was excited that I finally had my hands on a mermaid book and to my dismay, it wasn't anywhere near mermaids. Oh well. I'm still glad I picked this up because I really enjoyed reading it!

In the beginning, the protagonist, Helen is someone who lacks self-confidence despite being beautiful- inside and outside. She underestimates herself and does everything average. Until one day, she meets a guy who's new to the island and she starts attacking him. She literally tries to kill him and she doesn't know why. This guy is Lucas, one of the guys from the Delos family. Then eventually she learns who she is and what her capabilities are. I did like her because she has a great personality. I accept her flaws 'cause she's still have the right to act like a teenager.

The male counterpart of Helen is Lucas. I don't even know how to describe him because all I can think of is that he's gorgeous,with god-like features. I like him but there were parts where he can't make up his mind that I started getting annoyed with him.

I like the complication of the love story between Helen and Lucas; starcrossed lovers- Romeo and Julietish kind of story. What I didn't like is how both characters responded to the complication. I know the romance is an important part of the story but I like it better if it's turned down just a little bit.

I like all the supporting characters but I especially love Claire, Helen's bestfriend. I love her relationship with Helen. She's such a true friend. She's honest and she was there for Helen through thick and thin. She's so cute, we have the same height by the way, but that's not important. I just like her! She's so funny! 

The Delos family also took a big part of the story. I like how they portrayed the importance of family relationship by sticking together as one and respect for each family member. Everybody else may let you down, but your family won't.

It was narrated in 3 different POV's, I think, but mostly it was Helen's. There were parts where I was confused as to who's narrating and I just realized who after reading some of the lines. 

This is good for a debut novel so I commend the author for that. History, action, drama, romance and humor all in one book!

If you're a fan of Greek mythology, this one's for you! :)



Rating:
FUN and EXCITING READ!

Memorable Quotes:

"She'd just been so busy looking she hadn't thought to feel."

"Is that how tall you are without those ridiculous shoes?" he said derisively. "I think I was born bigger than that."
"I bet you were. Five feet of fat head and two inches of ass," Claire muttered, standing up.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!