Wednesday, May 1, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

Publication Date: February 1, 2011
Synopsis:
Demon Trapper Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself—and that’s exactly what Lucifer is counting on…

It’s the year 2018, and with human society seriously disrupted by the economic upheavals of the previous decade, Lucifer has increased the number of demons in all major cities. Atlanta is no exception. Fortunately, humans are protected by Demon Trappers, who work to keep homes and streets safe from the things that go bump in the night. Seventeen-year-old Riley, only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father’s footsteps. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing attraction to fellow Trapper apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving citizens from Grade One Hellspawn. Business as usual, really, for a demon-trapping teen. When a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood, she realizes that she’s caught in the middle of a battle between Heaven and Hell.




______________________________

Review:


I think this is just the second series I've read about demons. The first one is the Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins and I loved it.

There is definitely a big difference between these two series. Demon Trapper's Daughter has a unique concept and it'll take you to a world you've never been. While reading the book, there's somewhat an apocalyptic feel to it.

Then, let's get into the characters.
I really had a hard time getting into Riley's character. She's a tough chick, I expected that, like any other heroine from other books I've read. But she's getting into my nerves at times that I became distant to her. I understand her situation and all but..I don't know. Maybe she'll get better in the next book.

Beck, the country guy who's the right hand of his father seems like a good guy but also has his own demons inside. Riley's father treated him as his own child so when he died, he vowed to help Riley anyway he can.

I've been expecting that there'll be some romance between them but someone enters the picture. Simon, another demon trapper. He's religious, definitely a good guy. I like his personality but the romance between him and Riley seems forced to me. I don't like them together. But oh well.

The light of the book is how the author took time with the world- building. I also liked how I became so into the plot that at some point I became emotional.

If you'll ask me if I'll read the second book, DEFINITELY! I just need more from it that's why I just gave it a 3-star. Maybe, give this a try.


Rating:


Memorable Quote:

“You can't carry the world on yer shoulders, broad as they are.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!