Sunday, September 16, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #1)

Date Published: March 27, 2007
Synopsis:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

______________________________


Review:

This book has been on my TBR list for quite sometime now but I had a hard time getting it started. Maybe because it's on its 5th book now and I didn't think I could catch up. But what convinced me to read City of Bones is because I heard they're in the process of making a movie of it which will be shown next year so  before that'll happen, i want to read the book first so I can fully understand the movie and for comparison.

I was a bit confused at the first few pages of the book on who's the story-teller. There were shifting of point of views every now and then but mostly it was Clary.

I'm not in love with the characters yet. I had a hard time getting into Clary's character. I don't know why but it's just how I felt about her. I liked Simon's character. He always has something to say- making jokes that are mostly off which makes him funny. He's easy-going which makes his character likable. Jace is cocky, full of himself but gorgeous nonetheless. His childhood experiences mold him to become a strong and heartless shadowhunter. These two guys will take a big part in Clary's life. Love triangle? That, I'm not so sure. :)

I'm still in awe after some revelations in the last part of the book. The truth was, it came to my mind and I thought that would be too dramatic if that's the case and it did! Sometimes I hate it when I think too much and make predictions. 

What will happen now?- That's the question I've been asking myself since I finished the book. 


I must say my imagination was used in full blast. I had a hard time with all the descriptions, different characters and world-building. This is the first book so I expected that there will be a lot of information to take in. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book. It's full of action, adventure, betrayal, complications, sadness and love. 

Rating:
ACTION-PACKED READ!


Memorable Quotes:


"Clary, you're an artist,like your mother. That means you see the world in ways other people don't. It's your gift, to see the beauty and the horror in ordinary things. It doesn't make you crazy-just different. There's nothing wrong with being different." -Luke

If there was one thing she was learning from all this, it was how easy it was to lose everything you had always thought you'd had forever." -Clary

The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed." -Jace

"But you have to learn to bend a little, or you'll break." -Clary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!